Monday, October 13, 2014

Aren't you cold in that? My experience with only wearing dresses


Military




Good morning, 


I decided to do a post about the issues I face because I only wear skirts and dresses. I was raised in a Pentecostal Holiness Church that believed that a woman wearing pants was an abomination based on  Deuteronomy 22:5. The New Living Translation states ""A woman must not put on men's clothing, and a man must not wear women's clothing. Anyone who does this is detestable in the sight of the LORD your God.  

I heard that scripture all of my life but sometimes really do not believe in it because I knew a lot of women that were saved but wear pants. I really could not believe that they could go to Hell just over an article of clothing. 

But being an obedient child I wore them. But since I wore dresses and skirts I was bullied by my peers and even teachers. I would be prevented from doing certain activities such as running or playing sports. I was an althetic child but people assumed that since I had a dress on I could run or hit  a ball. A girl that wears a dress or skirt can still be atlethic. My parents would allow me to wear shorts under my skirts but it still did not prevent me from being harassed. 


When fall or winter would come around people would ask me if I was cold because I wore a dress instead of pants. I told them no, over, and over again. I knew how to layer my clothing and I would often wear tights or leggings under my clothes. But it still did not stop the bullying and judgements I received. 

When I go out people would stare at my mother, me, and my sister. I looked around and saw how we would be the only women wearing dresses. I hated how others would stand in judgement of us but claim that "religious people" were judgemental and hateful. Even in college I still faced ridicule. It was not until a year ago that something changed.

 One of the Elders discovered that the scriptures that we have been using to justify the no pants policy really do not apply. Because during that time period no one wore pants. Pants was a modern tradition invited centuries later. So  now we are able to wear pants. But I still choose not to. 

I am happy wearing my dresses because I have gotten so use to wearing them. Also I am curvy woman and most pants make me look fat which is something I am not going for. I am not going to change because of peer pressure to look like every other women. So I am not in need of being saved from a patriarchal religion by feminist ideology. To me it is not a big deal because a dress or skirt is not much different then pants. It is just an article of clothing that is more loose. So I am fine looking cute in my dresses and skirts just like most women who choose to wear only pants. I respect other women who choose to wear pants. I believe that I should be given that same respect. 




xoxo


Lanae Bond 







2 comments:

  1. Great post! As someone who also wears solely skirts and dresses, I've gotten that same question many times over, and I've learned to be ready to give an answer. I used to wear pants/jeans, as tight as I could get them, and I can tell you that having on pants in the cold doesn't mean you're automatically warm. There's a difference in fabric and the weight of it, and also layering. I can be warmer in a modest length wool skirt and fleece-lined leggings with boots than in a thin pair of skinny jeans. I know this from experience! Lol.

    A dear reader of the ModelMeGirl.com site sent in a question about this back in 2012 and I wrote up a response. If you have time, check out my response. http://modelmegirl.com/2012/10/19/fall-winter-fashion-tips-keeping-warm-in-skirts-dresses/

    Hugs & Love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always thought my experience was an isolated one because few people share the struggles of being modest or wearing only dresses. I am so glad I am not the only one that has experienced this. I hope by blogging some of my experiences it would help someone else. I am glad that you are doing the same!

      Delete

This is inspiring and uplifting blog, if your ideas does not encorage or inspire please do not comment!